Wednesday, February 13, 2008

'Tis The Season... for Politics

Good day to everyone.

As you might have seen, heard, or read, this year is a Presidential Election Year. Right now, the two major political parties in this country-- the Republicans and the Democrats-- are choosing which candidates will represent their respective parties in the General Election in November.

On the Republican side, it appears John McCain, a Senator from Arizona, will be the eventual nominee.

On the Democratic side, the race is neck-and-neck between Senators Barack Obama of Illinois and Hilary Clinton of New York.

Why do I bring all this up on the Herd?

As some of you know-- because you have attended them-- I have hosted gatherings at Gramma Connie's house prior to elections such as this. The goal of these gatherings has been to inform y'all about the political process, the candidates, the way our government works, and even to let you some things about yourselves you may not have already known or realized.

Well, this year I plan on doing it again. Starting next month (March), I will be hosting these things once a month. We will start by getting you learned up on the process of elections, and continue on to things like the levels of government, issues important to you, the candidates and their issues, and we'll keep going until November-- by which time you will be some of the most well informed voters around.

So, it works for me to do these things on the Third Saturday of every month, the same day we do breakfast with the Cousins. That way, some of us can go have a nice fun breakfast, then come to Gramma's or wherever and meet again to get all political.

Now, some of you may be thinking that my goal is to get you to vote for one candidate or the other. On the contrary, as those who have attended before can attest to, I do not favor one side or the other. In fact, most people do not know which side I am personally voting for until and unless I tell them. I am fair in my presentations. If someone asks my opinion or a factual piece of information that I can answer-- I will tell you what I know or believe. But I never, never, try to influence how you vote at these things.

As Auntie Monica said at the event for the 2004 election, "I didn't even know who you supported [if it was Bush or Kerry]."

So please come one and all. If you're not registered, that's okay, cuz we can get you registered. If you don't like to vote, come anyway and be informed. Just try to keep it to family and close friends of the family. And if you can keep the kids at home, that's fine, but bringing them is a good idea-- it starts them at a young age to know and learn about their government and their country, and helps prepare them for the day when the care of the USA will be in their hands.

Le me know what y'all think. And if you have any questions or comments, feel free to let me know.

Good times, y'all!

No comments: